Topics / Pubs

PUBS

When the 1841 census was carried out, only 1 beer house existed, that being the Waggon & Horses. This was later joined by The Griffin, The Rising Sun and The Travellers Rest. As men in Griffydam started to become increasingly employed in the coal mining industry then the demand for beer grew in parallel with it.

Figures from the Griffydam Census returns show the number of pubs and chapels in the village in relation to its population during this period:

 

1841: 68 houses inhabited (4 empty) - Pop 282 - 1 pub & 1 chapel

1851: 72 houses inhabited (none empty) - Pop 312 - 1 pub & 1 chapel

1871: 64 houses inhabited (10 empty) - Pop 275 - 3 pubs & 1 chapel

1891: 55 houses inhabited (16 empty) - Pop 258 - 4 pubs & 2 chapels

1901: 45 houses inhabited (7 empty) - Pop 210 - 4 pubs & 2 chapels

‚Äč

NB: The Red Lion pub is not included in the above figures. However, due to its close proximity to Griffydam details about the Red Lion have been provided.

© 2018 Griffydam Village History Group

  • Facebook Clean Grey