Gallery / Churches

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The Chapel opened in 1778 and closed in 2005. The photograph was taken in the late 19th century

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel looking down Elder Lane. On the far right of the photo you can just see the end of a building in the Chapel grounds which was once the caretakers cottage. Both originally built by William Garner.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

A further photograph of the Chapel, with the end of William Garner’s cottage on the right hand side

Methodist Chapel Interior

Methodist Chapel Interior

Internal photograph of Chapel taken from the upper gallery, thought to have been added during the chapel enlargement in 1862. The chapel then provided seating for approx 200 people.

Sunday School Interior

Sunday School Interior

The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Sunday School was built in 1932. It was also used by the Infant School on Top Road where school dinners were served

John Wesley Bust

John Wesley Bust

In 1779 there was a visit from none other than John Wesley who preached at the Chapel on at least two occasions. The congregation was constantly reminded of his visits by his bust which was placed under the pulpit.

Chapel Parade

Chapel Parade

Wesley Guild In Procession Down The Tentas & Elder Lane To The Chapel In 1931

Griffydam Methodists

Griffydam Methodists

Prominent Griffydam Methodists Following The Opening Of The Sunday School in 1932 L to R: Walter Davies (preacher), Frank Rowell, Herbert Rowell (preacher), John Johnson (preacher & father of teacher Miss Florrie Johnson), Leonard Wesley Rowell (Steward) & his son Herbert Eric

Methodist Sunday School

Methodist Sunday School

Mock Wedding By Sunday School Children Outside The Methodist Chapel On Elder Lane

Methodist Chapel Interior 2005

Methodist Chapel Interior 2005

Photograph of interior taken following its closure. This shows John Wesley’s bust moved to a position under the clock with a commemorative plaque underneath it.

Methodist Chapel Pew

Methodist Chapel Pew

A Pew Uncovered During Restoration Showing What Are Thought To Be The Carpenter’s Initials

Wesleyan Reform Church

Wesleyan Reform Church

Opened on 27th April 1858 on Rempstone Road. The Chapel In The Valley is still open and active today

Rev. Abraham Halliday & His Wife

Rev. Abraham Halliday & His Wife

Rev. Halliday and his wife arriving at the Wesleyan Reform Church c.1966

Wesleyan Reform Church

Wesleyan Reform Church

Sunday School Anniversary at the Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Griffydam c.1968 with the Waggon and Horses in the background.

Wesleyan Reform Church

Wesleyan Reform Church

Reform Church Interior

Wesleyan Reform Church

Wesleyan Reform Church

Harvest Festival 1992

Wesleyan Reform Church

Wesleyan Reform Church

Old Photo Of Congregation

© 2018 Griffydam Village History Group

  • Facebook Clean Grey