Topics / Local Industry
Topics / People/Charles Wright
Topics / Lost Buildings / Providence Chapel
Griffydam Village History Group
Flint tools made some 5,000 years ago by a nomadic group of hunters have been found in Griffydam and a small settlement probably developed as far back as the time of the Viking invasion of 873.
As with many rural areas, Griffydam had a number of small cottage industries. It also had its own Pottery and Brickworks. Coal Mining in the surrounding area was of significant importance in terms of local employment for villagers.
Griffy Well is a natural spring and was a water source for villagers until the 1930s when mains water was supplied to Griffydam. Although no longer in use, the Griffy Well can still be found along Bottom Road today.
This section provides information on buildings in Griffydam and the wider area of Worthington parish that are now in ruins or that have disappeared altogether
Recollections and stories of people with connections to Griffydam
Griffydam has one of the country's earliest Methodist Chapels, built in 1778. It also has a Wesleyan Reform Church now known as the 'Chapel in the Valley' which opened in 1858 following the formation of the Wesleyan Reform Society in 1849
In 1841 the Waggon & Horses was the only beer house. This was later joined by The Griffin, The Rising Sun and The Travellers Rest. As men in Griffydam became increasingly employed in coal mining then demand for beer appears to have grown with it.
Following the opening of the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, additional land was purchased in 1789 for a graveyard and by 1900 further land was acquired. Amongst the buried lie well known local Methodists and sad reminders of War and Coal Mining tragedies.
Houses, Street & Maps
Here you will discover the locations and history of old properties around the village, information on the turnpike roads and examples of old maps dating back to the 1700's
Newspapers have contributed greatly in recording local social history. The following selection of articles provide an insight into what life was like in Griffydam and nearby Pegg's Green during this period
A long history of Education exists in Griffydam. The Wesleyan Methodist Day School opened in1853 followed by the Griffydam Senior School in 1915. The Griffydam Infant School which opened in 1936 is still operating today as a primary school.
Griffydam had at least 4 shops that we know of including a post office. A Blacksmith's shop was also once located opposite the Old Waggon & Horses on Rempstone Road.
Find out more about Griffydam during both World Wars including stories of the brave young men from Griffydam who fought for their country, the Griffydam Home Guard and evacuees that were hosted here.
Census Records 1841-1901 can be found here plus statistics showing population figures and trades during this period.