Topics / Local Industry
Topics / Local Industry
The property was built in 1815 from two small dwelling plots. The Inn’s location is shown on the 1882 O/S map. The building still exists today, but is now a private residence which incorporates a name plate entitled “Griffin Inn”. The pub closed in 1961, at which time Benny Stone and his wife Alice were the licensees.
We know that the Griffin Inn was in existence in 1851, as Thomas Haywood was listed as the landlord. The Griffin Inn was recorded in Melville & Co’s Directory & Gazetteer of Leics 1854 with Thomas Haywood as the landlord still. Thomas was also a builder, bricklayer and shoemaker, as it was normal at that time, for publicans to have at least two jobs. He was then recorded as the landlord in numerous directories until 1877. Wrights Directory of Leics and Rutland 1880 then records Mrs Ann Haywood as the landlady, so presumably her husband had died.
In the 1901 census, Samuel Swanwick, aged 54 and born in Leicester, was listed as the landlord. In 1911, Frederick Johnson, aged 33 and born in Coalville, was listed as Licensed Victualler and Boot Dealer. He had a wife Mary L, aged 24 who was born in Swannington.
1851-1876 Thomas Haywood
1876/7 to 1880 Ann Haywood
1880/1 to 1884 George Peters
1885 to 1891 Jarvis Phillips
1891 to 1892 part Joseph Bradley
1893-1894 Fanny Bradley
1895 part Walter Bradley
1895 part John Chambers
1896 part Silas Hill
1896 part George Percival
1897 to ?? William Henry Bennet
1901 Samuel Swanwick (in 1901 Samuel Swanwick was aged 54 and and his wife, Mary J Swanwick was 53 both born in Leicester)
1905 John William Sneath
1906 William Mee
1907 Harry Chivers
1908-1911 part Frederick Johnson (in 1911, Frederick Johnson was aged 33 and also a boot and shoe dealer and born in Coalville. His wife Mary L Johnson was aged 24 and born in Swannington.
1911 part George William Storer
1912-1916 George Edwards
1916-1921 George Kilby
1921-1932 Thomas Williamson
1932 part Oliver York
1933 part Thomas William Driver
1933-1936 Fanny Selina Driver
1938-1940? Herbert Moore
1941-1961 Benjamin Stone
Until the end of the 20th century Public houses were owned and tied to one Brewery. Bass, famous world-wide for India Pale Ale which had the distinctive red triangle, becoming the UK's first registered trademark. The Bass sign can be seen in the photo opposite. However, they did not need to have many tied houses so the pub may have been privately owned.
At the outbreak of the 1st World War 1914, licensed premises were restricted to opening for lunch (12:00 to 14:40) and supper (18:30 to 22:30). Hour limits were not scrapped until 2005.
1806 Inclosure Map
1882 OS Map
The photograph showing the pub as it was in 1931. It was kept at that time by
Mr & Mrs Tom Williamson. Mrs Williamson is standing outside with her son.