GRIFFYDAM COAL MINE 1874-1880
It is recorded that between 1874 and 1880, Joseph Smart & Son worked a small pit at Griffydam, probably extracting coal leased from the Curzon family of Breedon.
It must have been severely limited by the Thringstone Fault to the north, and the workings of the former Pegg’s Green Colliery in other directions. The author believes that this pit was sunk either to provide coal for their brickworks on The Lower Brand at Griffydam, or, to support a Pottery at Griffydam that is shown on the 1901 O/S map next to the shaft.
1901 O/S MAP