Middle Road Post Office & Sweet Shop
The map shows the location of a Post Office on Middle Road, Griffydam. In 1911 Herbert Rowell and his family lived in the Post Office. He is listed as a grocer and baker so we assume groceries and bread could also be purchased there.
Mr. John Batson was the first man to receive the old age pension at Griffydam Post Office. He stayed with his son who was proprietor of the Rising Sun in Griffydam, until the public-house was permanently closed.
At "Roseleigh" cottage on Middle Road, lived John Waterfield and his daughter Eliza, who is listed as an Auxiliary Postwoman.
The Saddington family were the last to run the post office.
Further along Middle Road there is a house which in the 1950s was a sweet shop run by Mrs Brooks. Children walking to and from the school on School Lane would stop here to buy their sweets. The sweets were stored in large jars and the shopkeeper Mrs Brooks filled a triangular paper bag for a penny.