top of page
Gallery / Pubs
Available records date back to 1870 when the inn was listed as a ‘wine and beer house’
The name of William Batson, the licensee in the 1901 census, can be seen on the License board. It is possible that it is William Batson & his family in the photo. The Brewery is shown as being "Wells Brewery" of Kegworth, who used a fleet of steam waggons to deliver their beer. Photo Courtesy Of Coalville Heritage Society
In an 1890 sale by auction, it was described as an ‘old established beer-house known as the Travellers Rest, situate at Griffydam, with stabling for four horses & a hayloft over, cow houses for four cows, outbuildings & large gardens. The house comprises Tap Room, Back Parlour, Front Sitting Room, Two Kitchens, Six Bedrooms & large Cellar with four room Cottage adjoining. There is a good supply of hard and soft water and a very extensive frontage to the highway leading from Griffydam to Hinckley
In the 1980’s the pub was taken over by Malcolm Allured of Showaddywaddy fame who later transformed it into the legendary Travellers nightclub. The Travellers was demolished in 2002 and rebuilt as a pseudo farm courtyard of houses named Batsons Court.
Travellers Rest Football Team
Thought to be named the “Griffydam Swifts” Pictured Outside The Pub in 1900. Left To Right Back Row: William Hodges, Sam Shakespeare, Thomas Hodges (Sam's father), Jack Stevenson(later landlord of Red Lion in 20's & 30's), Mr Hill. Middle Row: Albert Haywood, seated right Isiah Hodges (Sam's Uncle)
Griffin Pub 1815-1961
Located on Elder Lane (previously Main Street). It is now a private residence. The photograph is of Landlady Mrs Tom Williamson and her son taken in 1931.
Griffin Inn Domino Team c.1959
Left To Right Albert Kilby, Jack Hill, Ben Stone, Albert Abbott, Harry Frear, Thomas Hodges and Arthur Else
Landlord of the Griffin Inn 1916-21 and of the Waggon & Horses 1922-1933
Waggon & Horses
How it looked just before its closure in 2015. It is now a private residence.
Waggon & Horses
The earliest records show that there has been an Ale House on the crossroads where Elder Lane and Lower Brand meet the Rempstone Road since 1806.
George Kilby Pictured With His Sons
George Kilby was Landlord of the Wagon & Horses from 1922 to 1933. He was also Landlord at The Griffin from 1916 to 1921.
Red Lion c.1900
The Red Lion public house appears in the earliest county register of 1842. On the left hand side of the photograph can be seen ‘Westbrook House’ and next door is ‘Westward Cottage’ where Josiah Weston lived. Josiah’s grandparents (shown in the photograph) ran the Red Lion, which was later taken over by his mother (his father could not apply for a license as he already ran another business).
Peggs Green Home Guard
Outside The Red Lion In 1944
bottom of page