Although some may argue that the Red Lion was in Griffydam, a newspaper article dated 3rd July 1968 about its closure (see below) suggests it was registered as being in Pegg’s Green. The property is located on Nottingham Road just beyond the boundary of Griffydam and Pegg's Green and is now a private residence.
The photograph of the Red Lion was probably taken about 1900 and is quite historically important. On the left hand side of the photograph can be seen ‘Westbrook House’ and next door is ‘Westward Cottage’ where Josiah Weston lived. These properties date back probably to the last quarter of the 19th century. There is apparently some evidence of an earlier cottage being there. An 1834 map appears to show buildings directly to the north of Westbrook House, before Sketchley’s corner. Josiah Weston’s father purchased the buildings and attached land in 1923 and their family lived there afterwards. Josiah was born in ‘Westbrook House’ and the family used to rent out the cottage for extra income. Josiah’s father had a barber’s shop in Coalville, and also ran a local barber’s shop in the pantry of their house. The large pantry was two steps down from the kitchen and was also used for hanging meats and bacon.
Around the turn of the century, Josiah’s grandparents (shown in the photograph) ran the Red Lion, which was later taken over by his mother. His father could not apply for a license as he already ran another business.
Elizabeth Hoult was listed in the 1861 P.G. census as being both a Victualler and a Grocer at the Red Lion, so it presumably incorporated a shop at that time.
1841 Wm. Haywood
1846 Wm. Haywood
1871 Mary Hoult
1880 Benjamin Percival
1881 Charles Brown
1887/88 Mrs Sarah Reave
1891 William Reeves
1892 Mrs Sarah Reave
1896 Frederick Tivey
c.1900 Westons (see above)
1901 James Leeson
1941 John (Jack) Stevenson
If we compare the exterior of the Red Lion in 1900 photograph with how it is in the Home Guard photograph, we can see the changes made to the windows and front of the property.
Newspaper article dated 3rd July 1968 under the heading “Old Pub to be closed"
A public house which appears in the earliest county register in 1842 is to be closed. It is the Red Lion, Pegg’s Green, Coleorton, which was the subject of a meeting of the county compensation authority.Because of a lack of use, the county authority did not wish to have the license renewed. And this brought up the subject of the compensation which applies for a loss of license to the old on-licenses in existence since August, 1904 with continuous renewal. The meeting decided that the license be referred for compensation and in the meantime, was provisionally renewed.
Photograph c. 1900
Pegg's Green Home Guard (10B Platoon) In 1944 Outside the Red Lion