Topics / Lost Buildings / Stordon Grange

Stordon Grange

Although Stordon Grange sat in the parish of Osgathorpe prior to its demolition in c.1965,  it has been included here due to its immediate proximity to Griffydam. The map shows the location of the property, which was on the Rempstone Road towards Osgathorpe, just after the staggered cross roads.

It is possible that Stordon Grange was of monastic origin, and built in the 15th / 16th century, although we have no actual proof of that. Thomas Boultbee, entered upon a 99 year lease of Stordon Grange circa 1700, which was held under the ancient family of the Beaumonts of Coleorton. It is thought that it continued to be occupied by four consecutive generations of the Boultbee family. The Boultbees were very influential in the locality at the time and were were weatlhy coal mine and land owners.

 

Long after the Boultbees had left Stordon Grange c.1818, and the Knight family was in residence, a visit to the Grange was made in Feb 1891 by one of the Boultbee descendants. The following description is an extract from the Boultbee website, which it is assumed came from that visit:-

 

The moat encloses a house with a courtyard and a garden, and during the last century was accessible by a drawbridge, which is now supplanted by a small brick bridge or causeway. The dwelling belongs to that class of small country house, which a century or two ago, were inhabited by the less wealthy landed gentry, and has now passed into the occupation of tenant farmers

 

It lies in a small hollow, entirely secluded from all other habitations, at a little distance from a high road. It realises the idea of a lonely moated grange, and might readily be passed within a short distance without suspicion of its proximity. The moat is supplied with water by the natural drainage of the slopes which surround it. Without the moat, there may be noted a large orchard of ancient apple trees which were probably planted by our forefathers, and a large farmyard with improvements of the modern order, which cannot date back many years. Within the moat, the courtyard, bounded on two sides by the house, occupies the north - east angle of the enclosure.

On the west side some fine elm trees, which must have been saplings in in the latter time of the Boultbee occupation, overshadow the roof. On the south side, an old fashioned garden has in its centre, a gnarled and ancient cedar under which our forefathers must have often played in their childhood years. 

 

More about Stordon Grange and the Boultbees and Knight families who lived there can be found by clicking here on A History Of Stordon Grange by Samuel T Stewart.

Thanks to the Boultbee family for providing written permission to use information from their genealogy website in the feature on Storden Grange, with the agreement that their copyright is honoured.

 

 

© 2018 Griffydam Village History Group

  • Facebook Clean Grey