Available records date back to 1870 when the inn was listed as a ‘wine and beer house’. It was located on Top Road, Griffydam.
In a sale by auction in 1890, it was described as an ‘old established beer-house known as the Travellers Rest, situate at Griffydam, with stabling for four horses and a hayloft over, cow houses for four cows, outbuildings and large gardens. The house comprises Tap Room, Back Parlour, Front Sitting Room, Two Kitchens, Six Bedrooms and large Cellar with four room Cottage adjoining. There is a good supply of hard and soft water and a very extensive frontage to the highway leading from Griffydam to Hinckley.’
In the photograph taken in 1935, the adjoining cottage on the left is still there. Frank Richards was the landlord at the time, and his name is above the door. However, if we look at the following football team photograph we can see that one of the two entrance doors had been taken out and the upper and bottom side windows have been replaced by more modern windows. Also in 1904 photo, there was no brewery advertising board above the doors. Text was just painted on the wall it appears. From 1921 to 1936 the Travellers Rest was owned by Offilers’ Brewery.
The next photograph taken in the 1960’s shows a major change as the adjoining 4 bedroom cottage has been demolished by this time. Also, the attractive front window has been removed and been replaced by a modern bay. The brewery owners are now ‘Mitchell & Butlers’.
1870/1875 Joseph Lager and Thomas Upton
1875 (part) Henry Southard and Joseph Lager
1876 (part) Joseph Lager and William Redfern
1878/1879 Joseph Lager
1880/1881 John Chambers
1882-1885 Frederick Ratcliff
1886-1888 Robert Ratcliffe
Up to this date the pub is recorded as having no sign and was just listed as a wine and beer house
1889/1890 Robert Ratcliff
1890 Thomas Booth
1890/1891 Joseph Bradley
1892 Tom Hardy
1893 Walter John Grey
1894-1896 Tom Hardy / Silas Hill
1897 Thomas Booth
1901 resident William Batson (was landlord at The Rising Sun for 7 years)
It is thought that between 1897 & 1905 the pub was not in use and was being used as living accommodation only)
1905-1908 John Emerson
1909-1912 Bartholomew Lawrence Wilson
1913 Thomas Wilson Coulson
1914-1922 John Michael Field (wife Alice Mahala)
1923 George Smith Wheatley
1924 John William Chadwick
1925-1933 Thomas Johnson
1934 part Sarah Ann Johnson
1934-1936 Frank Richards
1941 Frederick Richards
C,1952-1978 Albert Abbot (wife Mabel)
In 1978 the pub was sold by the Brewery
In the 1980’s the pub was taken over by Malcolm Allured of Showaddywaddy fame who later transformed it into the legendary Travellers nightclub.
The Travellers was demolished in 2002 and rebuilt as a pseudo farm courtyard of houses named Batsons Court. The courtyard was given its name by a pupil from Griffydam Primary School who won a competition to name the new development. It was named after her ancestor, William Batson, the inn keeper in 1901.
A TRIBUTE TO CHARLES BATSON BORN IN GRIFFYDAM IN 1888
William Batson was landlord at the Travellers Rest in the 1901 census and was given as a beer retailer and coal miner hewer. He had also previously been landlord at the Rising Sun from mid 1886 to mid 1893. William was born in 1850 in Hardwick, Bucks and his wife Susan was born 1851 in Long Sutton, Lincs. They had three children born in Breedon – Mary born 1877, William John born 1882 and Eliza born 1884. After moving to the Rising Sun, they had three children there – Jemima born 1886, Charles born 1888, and George born 1889. In 1901, Charles Batson, aged 13, was employed as a coal miner (hewer u/ground) and residing at the family home, The Travellers Rest, with his parents and sibling Jemima. In the 1st W.W. Charles enlisted with the “Battalion - 1/5 Unit – Leicestershire Regiment Section at Ashby de la Zouch. During the fighting in France on the 14th of August 1917, in the morning a Battalion raiding party left Noyelles and marched up to the line. On the march up through Vermelles 11 men of B Coy were killed and 14 wounded by one shell. Charles died from his wounds on the 17th of August 1917. His burial place is Vi C 11, Bethune Town Cemetery and his burial commemoration is Bethume Town Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France. His name is on the War Memorial Plaque in Holy Trinity Church, Ashby de la Zouch.
The Travellers Rest Football Team In 1904 Pictured Outside The Pub (thought to be named Griffydam Swifts)
Prior To Its Demolition In 2002