Griffydam Senior School 1915 - 1962
Griffydam School opened in 1915 for pupils aged 5-14 years. Pupils transferred to here from the Wesleyan Day School when it closed.
Children from Griffydam, Newbold, Coleorton, Peggs Green, Swannington, Thringstone and Osgathorpe attended the school. Pupils could transfer to the grammar school in Coalville at 11 years if they passed an exam. Others stayed here until they reached 14 years of age.
During the war evacuees from Birmingham and London came to the school. In 1939, there were 221 pupils. The school did not have running water supplied until 1939. Prior to that, drinking water was obtained from Griffy Well, which was a short walk from the school.
The Head Teacher for 22 years until 1948 was Mr Elcock (known as Daddy Elcock).
After 1948, pupils aged 11 and over were transferred to secondary schools in Coalville and Hugglescote.
The school became an Infant and Junior School. Pupils from the Infant School on Top Road (built 1936) were transferred to School Lane. The Head Teacher was Miss K. Wright.
In 1954, the 59 pupils moved back to the former infant school on Top Road. The school continued as an annex to Coalville Grammar School until 1962.
School football team taken in 1928. Mr Elcock is on the right
1940 Photograph Taken From The Coalville Times 19.1.96
From Left To Right
1st Row: Eric King, Gordon Clemence
2nd Row: Mary Toone, Margaret Sanderson, Mary Kilby, Thelma Bath, ??, May Moorhouse, Jose King, Hetti Hall, Connie Rowell
3rd Row: Alan Williamson, Roy Harrison, Henry Wells (Evacuee), Eric Rowell, Herbert Hodges, Lesley Webster, Walter Sibbets (Evacuee), Roy Clemence, Dennis Thursford (Evacuee)
4th Row: Francis Harris (Teacher), June Thursford (Evacuee), Lorna Ashbridge, Daphe Hull, Greta Stewart,??, Edna Hodges
The Log Book below is covered by article 23 "Every School must have a Diary or Log Book which should be a bare record of the events which constitute the history of the school. The log book was signed by the School Manager.
The writer of the log always who refers to himself as the Headmaster was Mr E.E. Elcock. After retirement he continued to live in the Harley Grammar School house in Osgathorpe where he must have lived in the period concerned. He also played the Church Organ.
The log book was signed by the School Manager Mr C H Pickering who died 22/5/1943.